I was a drunk for many years in the military before I became a tobacco user and turned into a mean destructive drunk. After learning my Liver was about gone I decided to quit drinking and did. But I had the biggest problem trying to quit chewing tobbacco, then I got colon cancer and right after surgery as I was being taken to my room, I overheard a surgeon telling another surgeon chewers and smokers seldom are strong enough to quit. Most who do even after cancer start back up. This gave me a challenge, the same as someone telling me "you can't do it" so I did.
The secret for a psychologist is to give the patient a will or challenge to work for. They spend to much time with the wrong kind of support, as what they all need is a good reason to quit. They have to want to quit in order to quit. Using pictures of smokers with tubes coming out of them isn't going to work or there getting cancer. I quit because I had to prove to this surgeon that he was wrong.
It is really reverse psychology, like getting someone to do something they normally wouldn't do by saying you can't do it, in fact nobody can, unless you are gifted with will power, and you know a rare tough breed..
I still after all those years have an urge to take a drink or chew, but I keep winning as I prove I am the master. I always loved a challenge and have a secret winning urge, a need to be the best. We just need a challenger, a real prick, or a pretty woman or women to make it worth the fight.
No comments:
Post a Comment